Sunday, September 03, 2006

What I am Reading (as if you care!)

George Bernard Shaw
Oscar and Bosie (right)

(my daughter Shani at Oscar's Grave in Pere Lachaise, Paris) (S.J.Litherland right)


Currently engrossed in Lord Alfred Douglas' correspondence with George Bernard Shaw. Fascinating stuff, Ego meets Tantrum, the Childe Alfred and St. Christopher. Snapshot of Victorian manners and literary dogfighting. Oscar must be spinning under all those lipstick kisses and concrete.
Draft of 'Mugs' by Paul Bodie. Haven't read it all but will comment further at a later date. Enjoying it so far!
The Silver Crown by Robert O' Brien, classic children's book he also wrote Mrs. Frisbee and the Rats of Nimh I think. Enjoyable adventure romp.
Lord Cucumber by Joe Orton and Kenneth Halliwell, Wodehouse style mucky farce.
Work of the Wind by S.J.Litherland (reading Mac Sweeney's Book of Demons too) A matched pair. Fabulous tour de force from Jackie, Review to follow for BEE.
Lots of books on Diabetes as I have just been diagnosed as having it. That should put paid to my drinking! Ah well it says nothing here about the sugar content of cocaine.
More later.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Ah! Good to see you back online. Bugger about the diabetes - wouldn't you still be able to drink Holsten Pils, though? Apparently all the sugar turns to alcohol, or at least that's what I was told by the bloke with the leather jacket from Jurassic Park, and he must know what he's talking about.

I by contrast have had dozens of diabetes tests, all negative - whenever I turn up at the doctors with anything, they seem to assume that just because I'm a fat bastard they should test me for diabetes just in case. Either that or it has a bewildering array of symptoms.

You going to Jukebox the Last next week?